As you have searched for “how to setup password for wifi”, let us tell you that setting up a wireless password is not at all a difficult task. A wireless network at your home is great for the convenience, but without a strong password, your wireless network is not safe. Your wireless network is prone to malicious attacks and some other threats. Your neighbors may be leeching off the Internet that you pay for every month. Setting up a wireless password for your wireless router is very easy and takes very less time. It saves you from countless headaches down the road. In this article, we will show you how to setup password for wifi at your home. Follow the below-given steps to setup password for wifi:
Log into the wireless router
To set up a password for wifi, you need to log into your wireless router setup. After you log into your wireless router, you can manage the settings of your router. Now, we will show you the steps to log into your wireless router. Follow the below given steps carefully:
- First of all, you need to find the default IP address of your wireless router. You can find the default IP address of your router by performing the steps given below:
- Click on the Search bar on the taskbar and enter cmd into the search bar.
- Click on the command prompt from the searched results.
- After you enter the command prompt window which is black in color, enter “ipconfig/all” and press the Enter key.
- Now look for your router local IP address by checking the default gateway section.
- You will find your wireless router’s default IP address next to “Router” tab. Your router’s IP address will look like 192.168.1.1.
There is also another way to find your wireless router’s default IP address. Look for the wireless card on the back of your wireless router, you will see three pieces of information written there i.e. default IP address of your wireless router, router username, and password, router’s network key.
- Open a web browser and enter the default IP address of your wireless router into the address bar and click Go.
- You will be directed to your router’s login page where a small login window will ask for router username and password.
- Enter your router’s username and password into the login fields and click Login.
- If you can see your wireless router’s setup page on your screen, it means you have successfully logged into your wireless router.
After this, we will now proceed to the main steps in the solution of your query “how to setup password for wifi”. Follow these instructions carefully:
- After you enter the setup page of your wireless router, look for the wireless security tab on your setup page.
- Now, select the type of encryption for your wireless router. Every wireless router has several options available when it comes to security. You can typically choose between WPA, WPA-PSK, and WPA2-PSK.
- Now enter the Passphrase and SSID for your wireless network. The SSID is the name of your wireless network and Passphrase is the network key.
NOTE: We recommend that your password should be a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. The more basic your password is, the easier it is for someone to crack the security of your wireless network. You need to set a strong password so that it becomes impossible for someone to crack your wireless network security.
- Now, click Apply and save the new settings. Your wireless router will now restart so that new settings take effect on your router and will disconnect from your device. Now, reconnect to your router’s wireless network by using new security key.
As you have set up the password for your wireless router, it means you have got the solution for your query “how to setup password for wifi”.
Asus router wifi not working
In case you are facing an issue “Asus router wifi not working”, don’t worry, we will show you the solution for this also. Simply look for the reset button and press it. Hold it for a few seconds and your router will get back to factory settings. Now you can again perform the above-mentioned steps to access your router
So in this article, we showed you some easy steps on how to setup password for wifi while attempting to set up a password for your wireless router and solution to the issue “Asus router wifi not working”.